Friday, September 14, 2007

school holidaze rock...

every year we get a new calendar and like so much we have no control over we can only wait in anticipation of the academic year's holidays. this year we are blessed with a sumptuous 4-day weekend grazie a the Jewish New Year. Happy new year to all who celebrate.

home here and in a daze. it's been a roller-coaster ride the past couple of weeks and I can only anticipate more of the same. since I took the day off wednesday to assist my family member I have an additional day away from school to become even more disoriented. I have no idea what I do for a living. it's amnesia.

what I have been thinking is that I wonder if schools have any meaning anymore. personally I liked going to school mainly to see my friends and observe my peers in wonder and delight, since I thought they were all way more cool than I was at the time. I wanted desperately to fit in and be accepted, although I was shy and demure, reserved yet as someone just told me who knew me back in my high school days - an adult person - I stood out, I "had a presence". this certainly is nice to hear, so many years later...

however I did learn a lot in school because I had teachers who, even when annoying and at times downright crackpot, had something to teach me, which I remember to this day. of course there were few to little disruptive and destructive students creating havoc and chaos in the classroom, at least where I went to school or the classes I was assigned to. perhaps I was just lucky or else there was zero tolerance at that time. students who were failing either left or were asked to leave (unofficially).

these days the students are running the show, and the teachers are being asked (unofficially and not) to leave. go away. stop asking for a living wage and quit complaining when things don't work right. just go away and quit annoying the important people who have the big titles and salaries and have to go to all those meetings where nothing really gets done. or just shut up, be grateful for your paycheck and benefits (and the promise of a fat pension) and be glad we haven't asked you to leave. yet.

1 comment:

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

Well considering that teachers are getting killed in other places i.e. Mexico maybe we don't have it so bad.

I feel sorry for these kids we teach because if life is kicking me in the ass and I play by the rules and do everything I am suppose to do can you imagine what kind of life they will have. They can not even do what is expected of them i.e. get to class on time, complete assignments, bring pen and paper to class etc. etc. etc.

No life is not going to be a bowel of cherries for them as their standard of living will continue to take a nose dive to 3rd world status. The young teachers in my school are so ignorant thinking that they are there to make a difference. No i don't envy them and me neither. WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT!!!