Sunday, September 16, 2007

“Tales from the **it(t)y – DOE Style”

I spent a glorious early autumn Sunday inside my apartment, taking prescription meds for my back which had gone into spasm – this after having episodes of migraine “auras” 2 days in a row – and while I resist taking drugs unless absolutely necessary in this instance I realized that I cannot just tough this stuff out anymore. Whether or not I will be able to go to work tomorrow remains to be seen, since running around to 5 different rooms to teach TWO out-of-license subjects is just cruel and unusual (or not) punishment. Stress does this to the body – headaches, weak areas further weakened, cortisol-induced weight gain, which further adds to the stress on the body, etc, etc…the funny thing is that I pushed myself to go to the gym twice this week, to help deal with the stress, and to keep my body strong – which it is - and for my efforts are rewarded with a body that cannot function properly. Perhaps hitting the pool to swim off the effects of working in/fighting against insanity without the proper warm-up most likely contributed to the back spasm, not to mention cleaning my antique claw-foot bathtub. So between sessions with the ice pack and the heating pad, a cocktail of prescription meds and over-the-counter drugs, and trying not to think about what-the-hell-am-I-gonna-teach tomorrow? (did you assume I was given a curriculum or any assistance with aforementioned subjects I am not licensed to teach? Oh silly you!), and drug-induced naps, and phone calls with my sister to talk about HER problems…you get the picture. It’s not pretty at all. It’s Sunday evening and you know what that means…

No comments: